FORMULATION OF ARSO-CACO
ARSO-CERT known as the ARSO Certification System (ARSO-CERT) is a regional certification system established by ARSO following the expansion of ARSO’s mandate by the Lagos Plan of Action for the Economic Development of Africa (1980 – 2000). ARSO CERT is a continental certification marking scheme intended to certify the quality of and promoting African products. Following the approval by 48th Council for the re-launching of the ARSO Certification System, the ARSO Secretariat renamed ARSO-CERTCO to ARSO Conformity Assessment Committee (ARSO CACO) with expanded mandate to oversee all forms of conformity assessment with in Africa. Draft ARSO-CACO Business plan
ARSO-CACO is to enable member states to produce and offer consistent and improved quality of goods/products and services through harmonisation of common quality control, inspection and testing activities using standards as a medium.
Contribute to the realization of African Trade and Development Priorities.
Satisfy the technical needs and strengthen the competitiveness of African goods and services through the facilitation and practical use of standards.
- Provide for an African Certification System for goods, products and services produced in accordance with the Africa Standards (ARS) issued by ARSO.
- Improve the quality of goods and services in Africa.
Provide a forum on Conformity Assessment activities in Africa for mutual benefits to participating members.
1) Establish means of assessing the conformity of products, processes, services and management systems to appropriate standards or other technical specifications.
2) Prepare conformity assessment guides and standards in all relevant areas.
3) Promote mutual recognition and acceptance of national and regional conformity assessment systems, and the appropriate use of standards for testing, inspection, certification, assessment and related purposes.
4) Formulate appropriate Conformity Assessment training tools
5) Implementing the mandate of ARSO Cert.
ARSO CACO STRUCTURE AND MEMBERSHIP
1) Membership is opening to all ARSO Member States
2) Experts are nominated from Member States. (Shall consist of certification experts from Member States.)
3) Chairperson and Secretary appointed from among experts to serve for 3 years.
4) Country offering Secretary shall host the Secretariat.